Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question on the margin
When using this tool and calculating your t/o performance values, what exactly does the margin value indicate? I assume it's how much distance I would have left of the runway in case of an aborted t/o?

Reason for my question is I've sometimes seen using the suggested t/o thrust and flex temp, it's not that much left of the runway and I'm not sure if the runway left would have been enough if I would have had to abort the t/o.

I tried finding some documentation to read about this but couldn't find any?
Richard Åsberg
Hello,

For now, the margin is calculate compared to the rule that says that the margin will be at least 15% of the entire length of runway.
Also for a configuration with an assumed temperature, this data will be improved in a futur release because I'm not satisfied by the algorithm currently used.
ToPS Developments Admin
Got it.

Thanks for the info and looking forward to future updates with improvements in this area.
Richard Åsberg
Tonight I tried out the latest version 1.1.3 doing a short hop from ESSA-EKCH. I took off from 19R and used the Y9 intersection. I also calculated for this when using ToPS.

I then went with AUTO for the thrust setting and flaps 1. After the calculation I went with what was suggested and I also went with the flex temp.

However, using these suggested values it was really close I ran out of runway and this during a normal t/o. Should I have ended up having to abort the t/o prior to V1 I would most certainly have ended up in the grass by the end of 19R.

I think in order to use this software and being able to rely on what it suggests you really must re-work how the calculations are done. You should always be able to stop with a safe margin if you have to abort the t/o prior to V1.

Right now I don't dare to rely on the values suggested and this renders the software pretty much useless for the time being which is a shame. This since the idea behind the software being able to pick up all required data straight from the simulator is brilliant!

Hope you're able to get it sorted! I really want this software to be as great as it could be Smile
Richard Åsberg
Noticed how you just released 1.1.4 - must say I'm impressed by the pace you're releasing new updates Smile

Is there a change log somewhere?
Richard Åsberg
(2017-11-29, 19:38:42)WebMaximus Wrote: Noticed how you just released 1.1.4 - must say I'm impressed by the pace you're releasing new updates Smile

Is there a change log somewhere?

On the download post
ToPS Developments Admin